- Curriculum Overview
- Revision & Support
- Independent Learning
- Personal Development
Our OCR Sport Studies program will allow students the opportunity to study the wider world of sport and physical activity. The course will provide students with the opportunity to study the impact that sport can have on the local community, nation and the individuals within it. Studying the practical units will allow students to improve their own skills and understanding of sports leadership, practical sport and outdoor activities. This course will encourage the development of a well rounded knowledge of how sport impacts upon ourselves and our society.
The course will encourage students to develop knowledge, understanding, skills and values to develop and maintain their performance in physical activities/leadership. They will develop the ability to perform effectively in different physical activities as well as the ability to plan and lead sporting activities.
This course will enable students to:
• Develop an understanding of the components of fitness and the principles of training, explore different fitness training methods and investigate fitness testing to determine fitness levels.
• Develop an understanding of the rules, regulations and scoring systems for selected sports, practically demonstrate skills, techniques and tactics in selected sports and be able to review sports performance.
• Investigate personality and its effect on sports performance, explore the influence that motivation and self-confidence have on sports performance, and know about arousal and anxiety and the effects they have on sports performance.
• Develop an understanding of the attributes associated with successful leadership, undertake the planning and leading of sports activities and review the planning and leading of sports activities.
Contemporary Issues in Sport
The various issues surrounding modern sport and the barriers to participation.
Developing Sports Skills
Rules, regulations and scoring systems for selected sports. Practical ability – skills, techniques and tactics in selected sports and ability to review sports performance.
Leading Sports Activities
The attributes associated with successful sports leadership. The planning and leading of sports activities and review of the planning and leading of sports activities.
Develop a working understanding of outdoor sports and activities, with the opportunity to experience outdoor activities first-hand.
PLEASE NOTE: This is the curriculum plan for the 2-yearly entry option with 3 hours per week. The 3 year course follows the same sequence but with 2 hours per week across 3 years.
- RO53 - Leading Sports Activities (Coursework) - Personal qualities, styles, roles and responsibilities associated with effective sports leadership; planning and delivering sports activity sessions; evaluating individual performance in delivering sports activity sessions
- RO52 - Developing Sports Skills (Coursework) - Skills, techniques, tactics, strategies and compositional ideas as an individual performer and as a team performer in sporting activities; officiating in a sports activity; applying practice methods to support improvement in a sporting activity.
- RO51 - Contemporary Issues in Sport (Examination) - Issues which affect participation in sport; the role of sport in promoting values; the importance of hosting major sporting events
- RO56 - Outdoor Activities (Coursework) - Different types of outdoor activities and their provision; the value of participating in outdoor activities; planning an outdoor activity; the knowledge and skills needed during outdoor activities